What is an honors option contract?
The Honors option allows students to earn honors credit in a course not specifically designated as an “Honors” course. An Honors option contract is a project that an Honors student pursues in a addition to the regular requirements of a traditional class. The project should combine the student’s interests and the subject matter of the course to create a deeper, more experiential learning environment. The contract is implemented when a professor and a student draw up an agreement specifying the work necessary for the student to perform to earn the credit.
How can I earn honors credit for an option contract?
The Honors Option standard for student work will be above and beyond the usual course requirements. Through the Honors Option, students should be absorbed into the inquiry of a course in such a way as to give them more than ordinary appreciation for and mastery of the intellectual discipline in question. Whatever form they take, the assignments should encourage work that is higher in quality, more deeply analytical, and more challenging, rather than simply multiply work assignments. The most important components of an honors projects are are the quality of the research, the originality of the author’s thinking, the author’s ability to link her work to theoretical issues of importance in the field, and the quality of communication in multiple formats.
I want to complete an honors contract. What are my next steps?
- Meet with the designated professor to discuss the plan of study.
- Prepare the plan of study proposal in accordance with the Honors Option Guidelines.
- Obtain the approval of the sponsoring professor by the 3rd week of the semester.
- Obtain the approval of the Honors Director by the 3rd week of the semester.
- Fill out the Honors Option Contract, plan of study, and attach a course syllabus.
- Submit the completed Honors Option Contract to GHC Honors Program Director, by the 4th week of the semester for which the course will be taken.
- Receive project approval from the Honors Committee. The Honors Director will communicate feedback and let you know whether you are ready to begin work within 5 business days.
- Submit a copy of the completed project to the Honors Director by the 14th week of semester.