In order to take Honors Designated courses or complete Honors Option Contracts, students must be admitted to the Honors Program, contingent upon meeting the following criteria:
- A 500 word application essay AND one of the following:
- Cumulative high school GPA of 3.5 or higher on a four-point scale OR
- Top 10% of high school graduating class OR
- Minimum SAT combined score of 1100 OR
- Minimum ACT composite score of 25 OR
- Institutional 3.5 GPA after the completion of 12 credit hours of college level coursework (1000 level or above) OR
- Evidence of outstanding leadership and /or community service
To maintain their status in the Honors Program, students must:
- Maintain a 3.25 GPA AND
- Earn a C or better in all HNRS, H-designated, or Honors option course
Students who do not meet the above criteria may still apply for Conditional Acceptance to the Honors Program. Students interested in applying for Conditional Acceptance to the Honors Program must submit
- A 500 word application essay and
- 2 letters of recommendation from Georgia Highlands College faculty members.
Conditionally accepted students will be allowed to enroll in a maximum of one H-designated and one HNRS course during their first semester of participation. Upon completion of their first semester in the program, the Honors Committee will review the student’s progress. Conditionally accepted students must earn a C or better in all coursework while participating in the Honors Program. If a conditionally accepted student fails to make a C or better in all courses, they will automatically be expelled from the program.
If the student’s institutional GPA is below 3.25, the student will be given one probationary semester to raise the institutional GPA. During the probationary semester, students are allowed to enroll in a maximum of one H-designated and one HNRS course. If the student does not raise her/his GPA after the one probationary semester, s/he will no longer be allowed to take Honors courses and will be expelled from the Honors Program.
Students who are currently enrolled in Learning Support (LS) courses are not eligible to apply until after successful completion of all LS requirements. Students who are on academic warning, probation or suspension are not eligible to apply until after they have reached “good academic standing” with the college.