GHC Home > Financial Aid > Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study

What is Federal Work Study?
Federal Work Study is a need based, federal aid program. Funds are given to participating schools to administer in accordance with the regulations and guidelines provided by the Congress of the United States and the Department of Education. The Federal Work Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to each student’s course of study.

Who is Eligible for Federal Work Study?
The first step in determining eligibly is to fill out the current years FAFSA.  Make sure you enter our school code, 009507. Once we have received your FAFSA we can determine eligibility. You must be PELL eligible, and meeting all SAP requirements required by Georgia Highlands College.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?
Both. If you work on campus, you’ll usually work in a job that is related to your course of study. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest. Off- Campus community jobs receive higher priority and students working off campus are usually paid a slightly higher stipend.

Can I work as many hours as I want?
No. The amount you earn can’t exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. When assigning work hours, your supervisor will consider your class schedule academic progress.  Students can work up to 19 hours a week depending on the department need and program funding.

How do I apply?

To apply for a Federal Work Study (FWS) position click here. Choose the position you are interested in and follow the instructions. Applications will be reviewed by the hiring managers in the order they are received. Mangers will contact students to set up interviews. Not all students are guaranteed a FWS job. All positions are subject to demand and funding availability.

HAVE QUESTIONS FOR THE OFFICE OF FINANCIAL AID? Click HELP ME to send us an email. The first available staff member will respond to you as soon as possible.