**There is a MANDATORY Keys to Success workshop held in June each year. The date will be determined in mid to late spring.**
Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 PM on April 1st each year (for fall semester start). Applications must be complete and include a copy of the applicant's certified nurse aide license in order for the application to be accepted. The online application will be available under the Process for Admission tab from January 1st through April 1st. Early submission of the application is encouraged.
1. Admission to the college
Submit the following materials to the Georgia Highlands College Admissions office:
- Completed Georgia Highlands College application
- Copy of high school transcript
- Official copy of transcripts from all colleges previously attended
2. Acceptance to the Nursing Program
Submit materials that document the following requirements by the application deadline to ensure consideration for acceptance:
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 in the required general core courses and a grade of C or better in BIOL 2121K, 2122K, and BIOL 2161K; ENGL 1101; and MATH 1001 or MATH 1111. The C or better in the biology courses includes both class and lab.
- It is the policy of the GHC nursing program to require students to retake biology courses if these courses were taken more than six years before the application deadline for the nursing program.
- Minimum of a 70 composite score on the ATI TEAS test. Official transcript for the ATI TEAS is required. The ATI TEAS must have been taken within two years of the application deadline. ATI TEAS tests greater than two years old must be taken again. Only two attempts will be allowed per application cycle.
- Official ATI TEAS score reports are due by 11:59pm April 1st. Students who take the ATI TEAS exam through the GHC Testing Center do not have to submit their score report(s), we have access to them as soon as the exam is completed. For students who take the ATI TEAS exam at an outside testing center/location, you will need to submit an official score report to us for each attempt by going through your ATI TEAS account. Email Chance Hooper at email@example.com the day after you complete the exam to be sure your score report has been received.
- TEAS scores are good for two years, meaning two attempts per application cycle for a total of four attempts.
- The Traditional ASN Program application cycle runs April 2nd - April 1st yearly. With two years and four attempts at the TEAS acceptable. The four attempts must be split with no more than two attempts in each of the last two application cycles.
- Proof of nursing assistant certification (CNA license). Licensed practical nurses are exempt from this requirement. Paramedics applying to the traditional track are NOT EXEMPT from this requirement.
- If English is the student’s second language, proof of the following achievement on the TOEFL is also required:
- 550 on paper-based exam
- 213 on computer exam
- 80 on Internet exam
- 550 on paper-based exam
Each student must take responsibility for making sure his/her records are current, complete and received prior to the application deadline.
Criminal background checks and drug screenings are required for clinical practice by institutions used by the nursing program for the clinical experiences associated with the nursing courses. These will be completed after being accepted into the nursing program. A student will be required to participate in these checks upon acceptance to the program and at least annually while in the program. All criminal background checks and drug screenings will be at the expense of the student. Criminal background checks and drug screening are to be performed through Advantage Students (www.advantagestudents.com) as required by many of the clinical facilities. Clinical experience is a component of all required nursing courses. A course cannot be satisfactorily completed without completing the clinical component of the course. Should a student be denied placement by a clinical facility related to results on a criminal background check or drug screening, the student will be dismissed from the program with no opportunity for readmission.
A student who has been arrested or convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation may not be permitted to take the RN licensure examination. This decision rests with the Georgia Board of Nursing (www.sos.state.ga.us).
Students with a criminal record must see the nursing program director for advice before submitting an application regarding the licensure examination.
Admission to the nursing program is a two-step process:
- Admission to Georgia Highlands College
- Acceptance to the Nursing Program
- Students are responsible for reaching out to the Associate Degree Nursing Program to ensure their application is complete by emailing Chance Hooper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No required documentation will be accepted after the April 1st deadline.
For scholarship information, please visit the Georgia Highlands College Financial Aid website: https://sites.highlands.edu/financial-aid/
Current Tuition & Fees: https://www.highlands.edu/tuition-and-fees/
The Traditional Nursing Program is 36 credit hours total:
First Semester: 9 credit hours
Second Semester: 10 credit hours
Third Semester: 9 credit hours
Fourth Semester: 8 credit hours
**Costs below are approximate**
Nursing Resource & e-Book Bundle: Varies by semester. Students should budget at least $800 per semester for learning materials.
Clinical Supplies: $110/first two semesters
GHC Nursing Patch: $10.00
Nursing Uniform: $325 (Scrubs, Shoes, and Jacket)
Liability Insurance: $16/annually* (All students in the nursing sequence are required to have professional liability insurance purchased through the school.)
Course Fee: $198/semester
Health Insurance: $1,120/semester** (**All students in the nursing sequence are required to have health insurance. If the student has a personal health insurance policy, proof of insurance must be provided and a waiver request can be completed to have the health insurance fee removed. Please use the Student Health Insurance link under the Navigation links.)
Background Check/Drug Screen: $80/annually