Health & Safety
GHC Facilities Usage: Health and Safety Guidelines
The GHC Health and Safety Guidelines shall serve to assist in defining acceptable actions and responsibilities while on GHC premises. It is not meant to be interpreted as totally inclusive of all such actions, responsibilities, or exceptions.
- ROOM CAPACITY:
- The total number of attendees approved for an event conducted on a GHC premises shall be indicated on the Reservation Form.
- The total number of attendees at any given time during said event shall not exceed that indicated in § 2.a of the Agreement.
- Maximum room capacity is based upon the total area of open floor necessary for free and unhindered movement.
- Room capacity is reduced by seating arrangements, tables, stages, and other obstructions including decorations, storage containers, etc.
- Capacity can be further reduced depending upon the event type which determines the minimum allowable area required per person.
- To ensure the safety of all attendees, Licensee must thoroughly describe the event to the Campus Dean prior to approval and then follow the provisions as stated in the Agreement throughout the entirety of the event.
- Materials used for decorations or scenery must be Class “A” rated or UL listed as flame retardant. Upon request, Licensee must provide documentation that certifies this material requirement.
- Decorations must be kept free from exits, fire safety equipment, overhead pipes, and sprinkler heads as well as lighting equipment and other heat sources.
- Decorations must be free-standing and are not to be attached to the building or the premises by nails, tacks, tape, glue, or other adhesives.
- Decorations must not disguise or otherwise obscure exit signs.
- Decorations must be removed immediately after the event.
- Prior to the event, Licensee shall meet with a GHC representative to review the emergency exits and safety features of the premises. Licensee shall then be responsible for making this information available to event attendees. Licensee is encouraged to appoint one or more persons to assist in the case of an emergency to guide attendees to the nearest exit and to promote calm reactions.
- Access to all exit doors, corridors, and stairways must be kept clear at all times.
- Aisles and corridors leading to the exits must be a minimum of four (4) feet wide and be kept clear from obstruction at all times.
- Wires and cables must be secured to avoid blocking access to exit doors, aisles, corridors, and stairways. All wires and cables placed on the floor must be properly taped down or covered to avoid tripping hazards.
- Exit doors must remain unlocked during the entirety of the event.
- Exit signs and doors must be clearly visible at all times.
Following an event, the GHC facility shall be restored to the condition existing upon the commencement of the event. Cleanup shall be defined as the:
- disposal of trash (including paper, plastic, cans, food, and live plants and arrangements) in the provided receptacles,
- removal of Licensee’s property, and
- return of GHC’s property to its respective place.
Power sources should be turned off or otherwise disabled and, if applicable, AV/IT resources should be powered down as instructed. Said cleanup shall be completed upon termination of the Agreement (see Duration § 3.0).
- RESTRICTIONS & SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
- Grilling can be arranged through a catering contract with a food service vendor from Georgia Highlands’ list of approved caterers. Grilling on GHC property is otherwise prohibited without the express approval of the GHC Campus Dean. Such approval shall be obtained prior to the event.
- Open flames and smoldering embers (including candles, sterno, incense, bonfires, campfires, leaf burning, and flaming/smoldering artwork and decorations) on GHC property are strictly prohibited. Alternatives include flameless candles and tea lights, fiber optics, or similar battery- or power-operated decorations. EXCEPTION: Candles and sterno warmers may be requested through a catering contract with a food service vendor from Georgia Highlands’ list of approved caterers and at their sole responsibility.
- Fireworks are strictly prohibited.
- Pyrotechnics are strictly prohibited.
- Heat sources are strictly prohibited inside the Building/Premises.
- Generators are strictly prohibited inside the Building/Premises.
- Lighting effects (including strobe and laser) can trigger seizures in persons having the condition known as photosensitive epilepsy. Special lighting effects are permitted as follows:
- Licensee indicates such use on the Reservation Form; and
- Licensee informs the Attendees of said lighting effects in advance of the Event.
- Power cords and strips are permitted as follows:
- The Building’s electrical systems shall not be modified in any manner;
- Wires and cables must be secured to avoid blocking access to exit doors, aisles, corridors, and stairways; and
- All wires and cables placed on the floor must be properly taped down or covered to avoid tripping hazards.
- Gas cylinders:
- Helium cylinders are allowed following Standard Operating Procedures whereby the canisters are properly secured while in use and capped during those times when not in use.
- All other gas cylinders (including oxygen, hydrogen, nitrous oxide, etc.) are strictly prohibited.
- Tents on GHC property are prohibited without the express approval of the GHC Campus Dean. Such approval shall be obtained prior to the event.