Students enrolled in online courses at GHC have the same access to student technology and services as students taking courses in a traditional classroom environment. As a GHC online student, your primary learning environment will be Brightspace by D2L. However, each course may use other supporting technology or systems. To start, it is important for you to review the Student Technology at GHC webpage and the GHC D2L Student Guide.
Technology Use Plan
While on-campus computers may be available to students during our normal hours of operation, GHC recommends that each online student have a reliable computer or mobile device at home with equally reliable access to the Internet. This makes participating easier and increases the likelihood of student success, since students will need to work on assignments and projects during times when the college may not be open. The cost of ensuring adequate access may require some planning prior to the start of each semester. In addition, we recommend that you have an effective back-up plan for your data in the event that there is an issue with your computer.
- Windows 10 PC or an Apple computer (with macOS 10.13+)
- Your computer must also be capable of running the most recent updated version of the recommended web browsers listed below.
Will my computer work with D2L?
- Some courses may require a webcam
- Some courses may require a microphone (a USB headset is ideal)
- Speakers or ability to use headphones for audio playback
- A printer
Supported Web Browsers
GHC recommends that you access your D2L courses using either of the browsers listed below.
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- We recommend that you have broadband Internet access at your home. The faster and more reliable your internet connection speed, the better your experience will be.
- A cable or DSL connection is recommended, particularly for submitting assignments & quizzes.
- Be aware of any data charges or data caps associated with your Internet service and plan your usage accordingly.
Tablets and Mobile Devices
While D2L supports the use of tablets and other mobile devices, submitting papers and taking tests is best done using a Windows PC or Apple computer.
Mobile Device Requirements:
Android 8.0+ (with the latest Google Chrome browser)
iOS 13+ (with the latest Safari browser)
Additional Systems used in online, eClassrooms, or hybrid courses.
Disclaimer: While the goal of Georgia Highlands College is to keep this information, in the fast changing world of technology, the requirements above are subject to change without notice.