Tip of the Week from the University System Office

The following tip has been adapted from an article from Self Magazine.

Re-framing thoughts is an important tool for keeping balanced thinking. There are times when we can think unrealistically, when anxiety takes a bite out of our well-being or when our minds tip deeply into the negative. With a few techniques, we can change the shades we’re seeing the world through. Have you tried any of the following?

• Write down your thoughts. Seeing what you’re thinking on paper can give you a clearer view of patterns and can give you the space to confront your thoughts.
  • Check yourself. If a negative thought pops up, don’t just accept it as the truth and give it a home in your head. Interrogate that thought. What proof do you have that this is true? What runs counter to that thought?
  • Analyze the helpfulness of a thought. Does this thought help me be a better person, improve my well-being or have any other positive impact? Is it helping me move forward in a good direction? If you’ve answered no and no, trash that thought.
  • Try the friend scenario. If my friend said this about themselves, would I encourage this or be concerned? What would I say to them? Would I call my friend this or say this to them? Would I want the kind of friend that says this to me? Whichever scenario you choose, the bottom line is to be kinder to yourself.
  • Be realistic. You don’t have to put a positive spin on everything; this can even be counterproductive. Just remember that the future is uncertain and take stock of the facts at hand to assess.

These are just a few techniques that you can use. If you would like to read additional methods or get the full article that these tips were adapted from, read “9 Therapist-Approved Tips for Reframing Your Existential Anxiety.”