USG e-clips from June 22, 2015

University System News:
www.northwestgeorgianews.com
GUEST COLUMN: Georgia college opportunities lifted the ceiling off my dreams
http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/rome/opinion/columns/guest-column-georgia-college-opportunities-lifted-the-ceiling-off-my/article_fe059112-163d-11e5-b2e8-6fb2a29e63e0.html
Candice Coulter
After graduation I was headed back to my hometown Detroit, but my mom had heard about this new college. We came to Georgia Gwinnett College for a tour, and I fell in love with its vision and potential. I wanted to be a part of it. Of course, my high school GPA still wasn’t the best, but to my surprise, GGC gave me a chance. Even though things went well my first semester, and I had a 3.7 GPA, I still felt out of place. I planned to drop out. Then one day after English class, my professor asked to have a word with me. I thought, “Oh goodness, what did I do wrong?” But the words she shared with me touched my soul. She looked into my eyes and said, “Candice, this is for you! College was made for people like you who crave knowledge.” …I would not be the person I am today if not for my GGC family, the experience I gained there, and the financial means which allotted me such an opportunity.

www.myajc.com
Rich get richer, poor get poorer
http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/rich-get-richer-poor-get-poorer/nmgnF/#5a1a5a1f.76557.735771
By Gracie Bonds Staples – The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
One month after they voted to raise tuition as much as 9 percent, the Georgia Board of Regents approved salary increases to the presidents of Georgia’s colleges and universities. Some got as much as a 43 percent increase. The presidents of Georgia Tech and Georgia State universities each now make more than $1 million a year. Meanwhile, rank-and-file state employees were given a 1 percent pay raise. Public school teachers and other school support staff can’t get a decent raise while just last month the DeKalb County School Board approved a three-year, $300,000 contract for superintendent finalist R. Stephen Green. He will receive the second highest base salary among superintendents in the metropolitan Atlanta area behind Atlanta Public Schools chief Meria Carstarphen, who receives $375,000.

www.onlineathens.com
Coming soon to a theater near you: The state of Georgia
http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2015-06-20/coming-soon-theater-near-you-state-georgia
By CHRIS STARRS
Coming this fall to a silver screen near you: Athens-Ben Epps Airport. It appears the Classic City’s venerable airfield will have a small role in the feature film “A Walk in the Woods,” which stars Robert Redford, Nick Nolte and Emma Thompson and is set for wide release in early September. “A Walk in the Woods” is the latest film to utilize some of the resources Athens has to offer and reemphasizes the importance — on a number of fronts — the entertainment industry in the state of Georgia. …Jeff Montgomery from Athens-Clarke County and Pete Konenkamp from the University of Georgia say both entities frequently field inquiries from location scouts interested in the city (and beyond) and campus. …“The motivation is we have a good town and gown relationship and we have a good partnership with the Georgia Film, Music & Digital Entertainmnt Office and we want to do whatever we can to help promote the film industry in Georgia,” Konenkamp said.

www.myajc.com
DOES GEORGIA UNDERPAY FACULTY AND OVERPAY ADMINISTRATORS?
Running on empty
http://www.myajc.com/news/news/opinion/running-on-empty/nmgwd/#c93a6881.3458083.735771
By Gary Kline
It is with great reluctance that I once again signed my annual contract with Georgia Southwestern College University, which designates the exact same salary for me that I received last year. For six of the last 10 contracts, I received no salary increase. Adjusting for the cost of living, I have seen my actual purchasing power cut by about 20 percent over the past 10 years. It appears the Chancellor and the Board of Regents have decided that only top administrators are worthy of pay raises. Faculty and staff members are treated as if we are interchangeable, expendable and insignificant. After 25 years of dedicated service to Georgia Southwestern and to students and citizens of Georgia as a department chair, teacher of the year; first GSW faculty member to be the Regents Distinguished Professor for Teaching and Learning and first faculty member at GSW to be elected chair of the Faculty Senate, I find myself resentful of the way faculty and staffs are being treated.

USG Institutions:
www.statesboroherald.com
A really special camp
Camp RAD offers recreation for adolescents with disabilities
http://www.statesboroherald.com/section/1/article/68426/
By JULIE LAVENDER
Herald Writer
A camp for adolescents with disabilities run by a partnership between Georgia Southern University, the Statesboro-Bulloch County Parks and Recreation Department and the Therapy SPOT has turned out to be a winning combination for all involved. Camp RAD – Recreation for Adolescents with Disabilities – is a free day camp held during the first four weeks of June for 10- to 20-year-old young people. For four days during each week in June, not only do the participants get to take part in fun and safe physical activities in a group setting, students learn how to live a healthier lifestyle and learn various social, life and community involvement skills. …University student volunteers gain valuable hands-on experience to further their college education.

www.redandblack.com
Students charged with running on-campus gambling operation, possession of cocaine
http://www.redandblack.com/cops/students-charged-with-running-on-campus-gambling-operation-possession-of/article_fe8e9594-16b9-11e5-9112-43909781a504.html
Patrick Adcock
University of Georgia police officers obtained warrants for the arrest of two students on counts of commercial gambling and possession of cocaine Wednesday afternoon, according to a UGAPD report. Max Braun and Brad Kirschner have been charged with running a gambling operation on-campus. Braun has also been charged with possession of cocaine, according to the report.

www.onlineathens.com
Drifting Dollars: Student housing boom changing face of downtown Athens
http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2015-06-20/student-housing-boom-changing-face-downtown-athens
By JIM THOMPSON
No stranger to metamorphosis, downtown Athens is in the midst of another cycle of change, this one fueled by a proliferation of student housing that is beginning, if slowly, to boost the downtown economy. … “For 20 years, the trend (at UGA) was for building away from downtown Athens,” Alhadeff said. But that trend has been balanced somewhat by the construction of the Student Learning Center, the expansion of the Tate Student Center and the recent opening of the Bolton Dining Commons on North Campus, all of which bring large numbers of UGA students much closer to downtown Athens, Alhadeff said. So, what’s the bottom line for Alhadeff on the question of student housing in the downtown area? “I’m all for it,” he said.

www.onlineathens.com
Sale of UGA TV station will be complete July 1
http://onlineathens.com/uga/2015-06-22/sale-uga-tv-station-will-be-complete-july-1
By LEE SHEARER
The University of Georgia will get out of the TV broadcasting business at the end of this month. The Federal Communications Commission approved the sale of UGA-owned WUGA-TV earlier this month, and university officials and the station’s buyer, Marquee Broadcasting Georgia, agreed the station’s broadcast spectrum and other assets will be transferred July 1, said Tom Jackson, UGA’s vice president for public affairs

www.myajc.com
Bobby Dodd turf coming in after Rolling Stones concert
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/bobby-dodd-turf-coming-in-after-rolling-stones-con/nmhnF/#346b31b1.3644966.735771
By Ken Sugiura – The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Georgia Tech’s grounds crew is expecting a shipment of fresh turf this week to install in Bobby Dodd Stadium – compliments of the Rolling Stones. The damage to the pristine Bermuda grass caused by the June 9 concert triggered a clause in the Tech athletic association’s contract with AEG Live Productions, the producers of the concert, to pay for the replacement of the field. …The contract calls for AEG Live Productions to cover up to $75,000 in damage to the turf. Daniels said the final cost to replace the field had not yet been worked out. In 2011, the last time the field was re-sodded, the project cost about $59,500. The field would likely have been replaced next summer if not for the concert.

www.techworm.net
Major Apple Zero-day security flaw exposes both Keychain and app passwords to attackers

By Maya Kamath
Zero-day exploit lets App Store malware steal OS X and iOS passwords TL;DR – Security researchers discover a serious Zero-day exploit in Mac OS X and iOS which can be exploited to steal the app data, passwords and various other credentials. A group of six security researchers from Indiana University and the Georgia Institute of Technology have found a major Apple Zero-day security flaw in both iOS as well as Mac OS X, which allows the malware to gain unauthorized access to the credentials of the device’s apps thus aiding that attackers to steal user’s sensitive data such as iCloud passwords, Mail app and all the web passwords that are stored by the Google Chrome. In short this exploit will directly expose the Apple’s Keychain and other apps including those of the third party.

Higher Education News:
www.insidehighered.com
Reminding States to Regulate
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/06/22/us-reminder-states-you-must-regulate-higher-ed
By Doug Lederman
After years of delays spurred by concerns from states and colleges, a new federal requirement that colleges obtain authorization from regulators in each state in which they are physically located is finally due to take effect.
The U.S. Education Department on Friday issued a Dear Colleague letter reminding institutions and state regulators of the looming July 1 effective date for the so-called state authorization regulation for on-ground campuses (which is distinct from a parallel rule about online programs, which is in a holding pattern because of legal challenges). The rule, which imposes requirements on states and college alike, is aimed at setting some minimum standards for how a state approves colleges operating within its borders.

www.nytimes.com
The Cost of Letting Young People Drift

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
President Obama spotlighted a national crisis last year when he launched My Brother’s Keeper, an initiative that encourages communities, nonprofits and the private sector to focus on ways to improve the lives of some of the nation’s most vulnerable young people. According to the White House, the private sector has since directed nearly $500 million to various projects aimed at expanding opportunity for this group. …The crisis, in a nutshell, is the isolation of millions of young black and Latino men, who are disengaged from school, work and mainstream institutions generally. The task of bridging that gap has been left to the philanthropic community, which understands the crisis and has undertaken various educational initiatives. But the country as a whole seems largely unaware that a large number of young people exist wholly apart from the mainstream, a situation that is enormously damaging to them and to the rest of society.