The SPIRIT of USG

The University System of Georgia encourages the cultivation of an ethical culture within its 31 institutions. This week USG institutions statewide have participated in “The SPIRIT of USG”. Our guiding principles are outlined by the acronym, SPIRIT, which represents: Stewardship, Prevention, Integrity, Responsibility, Inspiration and Trust. The focus correlates with International Fraud Awareness Week and educates employees on ethical policies.

Below are a few reminders of best practices:
•Can I use my employment email to solicit the sale of personal items?
No, it is unethical to use a state owned device for personal gain.
•Can I use my work computer to download and host music and videos?
No, this is not only abuse of state owned assets but violates copyright infringement laws.
•Can I copy a software application on my work computer for use on my own personal computer?
No, it violates copyright and licensing laws.
•I am a System Office employee and am interviewing for a position at a University System institution. What rules should I be aware of when going through the interview process?
Transitioning employment among institutions and the System Office is one method by which we can share valuable experience across the University System. However, seeking employment is still a personal activity and employees should take leave consistent with the University System’s guidelines on the use of leave and under guidance from his or her supervisor. Additionally, travel associated with this interview may not be submitted for reimbursement to the System Office even though some travel may be reimbursable by the hiring institution.
•I work in finance and am invited to my alma mater’s alumni business school retreat which is held during the business day. Am I required to take vacation for this alumni function?
You should discuss this matter with your supervisor. Employees should take leave for strictly personal events. However, there may be instances when an employee is called to represent their institution at alumni event. For example, the employee’s alma mater may be the institution at which he or she works. As a general rule, employees participating in personal events during work hours should take leave consistent with the leave guidelines.
If I am on vacation all week, telework on Friday, and then resume vacation the next week, am I cheating time? Is this fraud?
•You are only “cheating time” if you are not actually working on Friday. Please note that teleworking must be approved and that there are required forms to be signed by you and your supervisor. See Teleworking/Flextime Policy for more information.
•May I use the color copier for personal use?
State-owned resources should be used for state business. Incidental personal use that does not incur a cost or risk to the state is allowable, e.g., the occasional personal call or checking personal email. However, employees should be aware that there is no expectation of privacy on a work computer and should be mindful to avoid downloading viruses or other programs. Visit Information Security and ePrivacy for more information.
•I believe my supervisor and another employee are engaging in negative discussions about me while not bringing it to my attention. Is this appropriate?
•It is not appropriate to gossip or engage in disrespectful actions towards another person. However, there may be instances when it is necessary for a manager to discuss an individual’s performance as a part of their responsibility to gather facts and assess the situation. Nevertheless, perceptions are almost always addressed best in a direct and respectful manner. You should seek a specific time with your manager to discuss your concerns and be prepared to really listen to what he or she may have to share. At the same time, you should communicate your concerns about what you are hearing with respect to comments about you. A good-faith effort using this approach will work in many occasions. Alternatively, you may wish to approach an HR representative for specific counsel in reference to your situation or for assistance in mediating your concerns.

For more information visit http://www.usg.edu/audit/fraud_awareness/bor.