Items to Complete before Graduating
- Complete Petition for Graduation Application:
- Each student who plans to graduate from Georgia Highlands College must complete a Graduation Application at least one semester prior to the term of degree completion. Each student is sent an evaluation of course credits and advised of any requirements needed to graduate within 2 to 4 weeks after submission of the application. During peak time, this may be longer.
- Complete Outstanding Curriculum Substitution(s):
- A process to request that a course taken will substitute for one required in the prescribed curriculum for your program of study; see your advisor to determine if this is needed. Have an alternate plan should the substitution not be approved.
- Choose the correct catalog for your program of study:
- You may choose any one catalog in effect while you have been a student at Georgia Highlands College.
- Complete the Residency Requirement:
- 18 semester hours of degree credit level classes must be completed at Georgia Highlands College.
- Meet the Required GPA:
- Must be 2.0 overall.
- Meet the Georgia Constitution Requirements:
- History 1000 for Career Programs --- Political Science 1101 for Transfer Programs.
- Meet the Georgia History Requirements:
- History 1000 for Career Programs -- History 2111 or History 2112 for Transfer Programs. NOTE: students who transfer in credits for POLS 1101 or HIST 2111/2112 from an out-of-state institution must contact the Academic Dean for Social Science to determine if their courses meet the requirements. For more information on the USG Georgia Legislative Requirements click here.
- Submit Name Change:
- Your name will be printed in the Commencement program and on your diploma as it is listed in our system. Any name changes must be submitted no later than February 1 for the program and diplomas for Spring graduates. The deadline to submit a name change for diplomas for Fall graduates is September 1 and for Summer graduates May 1. After that date, you may be charged for a replacement diploma.
- Satisfy all Financial Obligations:
- All fines, library fees, and traffic tickets must be cleared before you receive a diploma. If you participated in a financial aid loan program, you must have an exit counseling interview. It is the petitioner's responsibility to determine if financial obligations are assessed on their accounts.