GET TO KNOW: Gina Floyd

Georgia Highlands College is highlighting faculty and staff administration across the college in this ongoing “GET TO KNOW” series.

First up is Gina Floyd who serves as the Registrar for GHC.

In what ways does the Registrar serve GHC? 

The Registrar serves the students, faculty, and staff of GHC by maintaining accurate records, providing excellent customer service, and having a big-picture perspective of academics.

What are some of your daily/ongoing responsibilities?

My responsibilities change as the time of the semester changes. Some days are full of running processes and answering questions. Other times I work on projects to improve or update policies and procedures, train faculty and staff, or serve on committees and groups to accomplish institutional goals. And, because I am still new to GHC, some days I spend the majority of my time in a Zoom meeting with Enterprise Application Services (EAS) figuring out exactly how to do what I am supposed to do! I have to give a shout out to the EAS team and their support. They, along with Assistant Director Registrar Sherri Beideck, and others, have been so helpful in my first weeks here at GHC.

What are some of the common questions that the Registrar can answer?

I can answer questions about the Academic Calendar and academic policies, deadlines and procedures. Honestly, many of the questions that come to mind can be answered by the catalog or the FAQ page on the Registrar Office web page. I think when something does not go according to those policies or procedures is when I get the most questions.

What drew you toward this career path? 

I started my career in higher education in 2011 and fell in love with the field. Postsecondary education is the perfect mix of intellect, order and creativity. I have always had a bent towards administration and leadership, no matter my particular position. I also care about people and enjoy finding creative solutions to challenges. And, I can’t deny it, I am a rule follower. The role of Registrar allows me to put all of those things together on a daily basis.

What are some of your interests/hobbies, and how do you enjoy spending your free time? 

I enjoy shopping, reading, watching movies and gardening. My husband and I also have a Jeep that we love to take on trails and through the mountains. I love taking day trips, stopping along the way at interesting local shops and farmer’s markets.

Do you have a favorite book or movie? 

I love any book by Chip and Dan Heath. They have great ideas about making everyday things such as communication, making decisions and having a better impact. Plus, they have some great stories and can make you laugh.

What is something people would be surprised to learn about you? 

I’m not sure if it would be surprising, but I love Country Gold. Give me Barbara Mandrell, Alabama, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, or the Oak Ridge Boys any day and I won’t be able to keep myself from singing along (often loudly!).