Tamatha Hargett

GET TO KNOW: Library Associate for Public Services Tamatha Hargett

Georgia Highlands College is highlighting faculty and staff administration across the college in this ongoing “GET TO KNOW” series. Next up is Tamatha Hargett, who serves as the Library Associate for Public Services for GHC.   

In what ways does your role serve GHC? 

One of my main goals is to encourage students to visit our library as much as possible. The library offers so many resources (besides books) that can help lead them to academic success!  

What are some of your daily/ongoing responsibilities? 

Running the circulation desk and coordinating events and programs for the library.  

Are you stationed at a particular GHC site? 

Floyd Campus 

What drew you toward library services, and can you tell us a little bit about your background prior to joining GHC?  

I have always loved reading! When I was a child, my mom would take me to the public library weekly and it ended up being my favorite place in the world. My first part-time job was there. After graduating, I’ve worked in other fields, but always hoped I would end up back in the library.  

What are some of your interests/hobbies, and how do you enjoy spending your free time? 

Reading, cross-stitching, and spending time with my family and pets.  

Do you have a favorite book or movie? 

It’s hard for me to choose a favorite book, but “The Historian” by Elizabeth Kostova is definitely one I’ve re-visited the most. For both books and movies, I am a huge fan of both “Star Wars” and “Lord of the Rings.”