Dr. Gayland Cooper in meeting

GHC Foundation Board of Trustees Spotlight: Dr. Gayland Cooper

Dr. Gayland Cooper was appointed to the GHC Foundation Board of Trustees in January of 2022. 

Spending 40 years working in public education with roles ranging from high school science teacher to principal to Assistant Superintendent and then Superintendent for Rome City Schools, Gayland Cooper says he and his late wife, Barbara Cooper, have always wanted to serve their hometown of Cedartown and the Northwest Georgia Region. 

“Cedartown was very good to us when were growing up, and we have always wanted to give back,” Cooper said. “Georgi Highlands is absolutely the greatest value for a college education around, and here it is right in our own community. 

Following a lifetime of public service through education and community outreach, Cooper, who retired in 2012, said he is always looking for ways to serve. His longtime commitment to education means his role on the board will be student-focused, with the overall goal being to help students continue a path of higher education. 

“I want the young people in our area to be successful and to earn a college degree and have the American dream someday for their family,” Cooper said. “I feel privileged that I was asked to serve, and I hope that I can contribute to the GHC Foundation financially and with my experience as well.” 

Cooper is a member of the Rotary Club of Rome and serves on the Boys and Girls Club Board of Northwest Georgia and is a past president. He serves on the board of the Rome Symphony Orchestra and on the board at Harbor House. He is past president of the Rome/Floyd County Commission on Children and Youth and past chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Rome/Floyd United Way.