GHC alumna sworn into the Rome City Commission

Recently sworn into the Rome City Commission, Elaina Beeman began her post-secondary education at Georgia Highlands College (then Floyd Junior College) studying business management, then went on to earn her bachelor’s degree from Jacksonville State University.

Currently employed by the Northwest Georgia Housing Authority (NWGHA) as the Project SOAR Education Navigator and Tax Credit Manager, Beeman wears many hats in her life and began taking on leadership roles during her time as a student.

“Having a personal and professional relationship with my instructors at [GHC] allowed me the opportunity to seek and find the true meaning of class subjects being taught,” Beeman said. “Holding leadership positions such as Senator of the Student Government Association, President of the Black Awareness Society and working on campus with the work study program in the nursing and mental health departments empowered me to excel.”

In addition, Beeman holds special memories stemming from her time at GHC.

“My standout memory was being crowned Miss Floyd Junior College by my sister, Yvonne Brand, serving on the Rome City School board with my Floyd Junior College advisor and public speaking instructor, the late Ms. Judy Sims, and currently working alongside my mentor, Mrs. Sandra D. Hudson, Executive Director of NWGHA, impacted me significantly,” Beeman said.

To be successful in a career pathway in business management and to be effective in Business Management, Beeman said one must have effective leadership skills.

“I researched, studied and grew in knowledge from the area that I was studying. I saw a need for additional training, took risks and believed in my capabilities,” Beeman said. “I never gave up on my dream to be an effective leader in management. Remember that ‘when you are prepared, the sky has no limits.’”

In addition to her roles with the Rome City Commission and NWGHA, Beeman is a past 2016 Heart of the Community recipient, 2000 Leadership Rome graduate, 2011 Leadership Georgia graduate and past Greater Rome Chamber of Commerce board member.

“I was also appointed by the Rome City Commissioners to serve a five-year appointment on the Rome/Floyd Planning Commission and served eight consecutive years on the Rome City School board,” Beeman said. “When the opportunity came, I leaped into the possibility to grow forward”

She said a typical day at Northwest Georgia Housing Authority is challenging, rewarding and emotional.

“The challenging part is that everyone who resides within the housing authority has a story,” Beeman said. “I strive to empower each of our residents to proudly tell the world their story. “The rewarding part of each day deals with the strategies that are in place that assist our residents to obtain the impossible. And no matter the outcomes, you feel some type of way.”

She said the reason she decided to run for City Commissioner is because her heart is in the community.

“What drives me to lead others is my passion to be of service to all,” Beeman said. “‘Reach one and Save One’ is my philosophy in life.”

Beeman is married to fellow GHC alumnus Rickey Beeman and they have three children. She enjoys sewing, shopping and listening to music in her free time.