GHC Home > Office of Finance and Administration > Business Office > Accounts Payable > Accounts Payable – FAQ

Accounts Payable – FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is College’s policy on paying membership dues?
A: It is College policy to pay only for institutional membership dues. This policy is based on the Attorney General Opinion 68-110. There are some possible exceptions, and include:

– Transferable individual memberships

– Memberships that are required as a condition of employment

– Memberships that are required for accreditation of a department or program

– The membership fee plus a registration fee to an organization’s conference is less than the nonmember registration

– The membership results in a discount on beneficial publications that is greater than the cost of the membership

Q:  What should I do if I receive an original invoice or credit memo in my department?
A:  All original invoices or credit memos received in any university department need to be IMMEDIATELY forwarded to Accounts Payable in the Office of Fiscal Affairs.
Q:  What is the AP Policy (turnaround) for Check Requests?
A:  The processing time required for all payments is dependent on the time the request is received in Accounts Payable. Check requests (with all appropriate documentation and signatures) will be processed in five working days.
*Please note that payment on check requests submitted without appropriate documentation will be delayed until the requested documents are received. Payments may also be delayed on occasion due to end of year processing, training of new hires, absences or system failure. Be sure to plan accordingly and submit your check request as soon as invoices are received.
*Please remember to advise your vendors of this policy when conveying payment information to them.
Q:  How are checks disbursed?
A:  Checks are normally mailed to vendors.  Checks may be picked up in the Accounts Payable Office when a check needs to be hand delivered.
Q:  Why are checks not sent via campus mail?
A:  Sending checks through campus mail presents a security risk, therefore, all checks are to be mailed or picked up on the Floyd Campus by an employee of GHC.
Q:  Can I submit copies of invoices/receipts for payment?
A:  State policies require original, detailed, signed and dated receipts showing the invoice date and amount to be paid.
Note, statements only are not sufficient back up and will not be accepted as sole backup. Please request a copy of the invoice from the vendor even if it is a past due invoice.
Q:  Do the per diem rates for employees apply to non-employees?
A:  Yes. When travel expenses are being reimbursed to students or other non-employees, they are expected to remain within the per diem rates.
Q:  How do I get sales tax removed from my purchase?
A: You should submit a sales tax exempt form at the time the order is placed.
Q:  Why do I need to obtain the Tax ID # or SSN?
A:  These numbers allow a more thorough search of the vendor database for existing vendors. For example, if a vendor has a parent company but ‘does business as’ a subsidiary name. Another example would be if a vendor’s name changes due to a life event or sale of the company. This information is also pertinent to the set up of 1099 information within the vendors file. An easy way to request this information is to ask the vendor for a W-9.
Q:  What if my vendor is employed at GHC or another BOR unit?
A:  Employees of GHC receiving monies for services above and beyond their normal salary cannot be paid through AP. They must be paid through payroll. Please contact GHC’s Payroll Office for instructions on how to submit this expense for payment.
If the vendor is employed at another unit, that unit must invoice us and we will pay that unit through AP. The invoicing unit will in turn pay their employee through their payroll system.
Q:  How can I pay for lodging if I do not have a credit card?
A:  Fill out a check request made payable to the hotel for the exact amount of your lodging. Be sure to obtain a confirmation from the hotel showing your confirmation number and amount. Submit the confirmation, a list of attendees/room assignments and a meeting brochure with your check request. Be sure to retain a copy for your records and to take with you in case of discrepancies.
Q:  How do I know if a check has cleared the bank?
A:  Contact the AP department with as much detailed information about the vendor and payment as possible. This will assist our department in looking up the vendor payment history. We will contact the bank and if the check has cleared a copy of the canceled check (front and back) will be emailed to the requestor along with the date the check cleared.