Primary updates to share this week include 1) faculty confirmations & parking; 2) shoes & attire; and 3) campus access.
Attending full-time faculty have been emailed RSVP confirmations and parking passes for their commencement ceremony (re: email from President’s Office dated 04/29/21). This email details the designated campus entrance, locations for parking and faculty robing, and processional lineup time. For designated parking to accommodate limited mobility, please email Tammy Nicholson at firstname.lastname@example.org .
All 2021 Commencement ceremonies will be conducted outdoors on the Floyd Campus grounds. Weather-appropriate business attire is encouraged with comfortable shoes for safe navigation across uneven terrain.
In order to manage traffic throughout ceremonies, Floyd Campus grounds will be limited to only employees, graduates, and their guests on Commencement day. Grounds will be posted as otherwise closed to public access. Campus entrance for graduates and their guests will be indicated at the east drives from US Highway 27; entrance for faculty will be at the south drive from Booze Mountain Road (see attached venue map). Traffic exiting after commencement may be directed for right-turn only to avoid heavy congestion.
Staff volunteers are still needed at Floyd Campus for Wednesday set-up details (May 12) and for Thursday commencement details (May 13). Staff should confirm approval with their supervisor and then email Bradley Gilmore at email@example.com with their approved date and availability.
Visit commencement.highlands.edu for updates related to information and ceremony details with venue map, view options, safety measures, severe weather announcements, and more. * Note: Though outdoors, face coverings will be required while moving throughout the venue. Check Ceremony Details under Information at commencement.highlands.edu
GHC Graduation Committee is proud to confirm that pomp and circumstance will be uniform for all three ceremonies (10am, 3pm, and 6pm). The processional lineup will include:
- MUSICIANS: The Highlands Brass and Percussion Ensemble led by Sam Baltzer
- BAGPIPER: Joe Dunaway
- MACE BEARER: Billy Morris
- STAGE PARTY: President Don Green, Regent T. Dallas Smith (6pm only), Provost Dana Nichols, VP for Finance & Administration Jamie Petty, and Communication Professor/Card Reader Travice Obas
- FACULTY PROCESSIONAL: led by Faculty Marshals Mark Pergrem (10am), Lynn Herman (3pm), and Frank Minor (6pm)
Faculty Parking will be reserved near the Floyd Campus Library with a designated entrance from Booze Mountain Road (see Venue Map).
- Walraven Award: Congratulations to Billy Morris for being selected 2021 Walraven Faculty Award! (re: Dana Nichols’ email dated 04/15/21; acceptance speech at 10am & 6pm)
- Mace Bearer: Billy Morris (re: Dana Nichols’ email dated 03/22/21)
- Honorary Faculty Marshals: Frank Minor (6pm), Mark Pergrem (10am), and Lynn Herman (3pm)
- University System of Georgia BOR Welcome: Regent T. Dallas Smith (6pm)
2021 Commencement Ceremonies
Thursday, May 13th • 10am & 6pm
Nursing Pinning & Commencement
Thursday, May 13th • 3pm
(for nursing graduates only)
FRIDAY, MAY 14TH
(Severe Weather Contingency Date)
Outside Ceremonies – Floyd Campus Grounds
Look for pending updates related to Run of Show. Check for your weekly highlights in Friday posts of GHC Inform!
For questions related to commencement planning, please email Graduation2021@highlands.edu