Student Support Services is working remotely and continues to provide assistance to students through various services.
Why does GHC have a Food Pantry?
Food insecurity, is an issue impacting a significant number of college students. Food insecurity is the limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate and safe foods, or the ability to acquire such foods in a socially acceptable manner. The most extreme form is often accompanied with physiological sensations of hunger.
According to a recent survey (April 2018) by Wisconsin HOPE Lab
- 42% of community college students indicated they struggled to get adequate food
- 9% have gone at least one day in the last month without eating because they lacked the money
- 46% said they had difficulty paying for housing and utilities
- 12% were homeless in the last year
What Happens when I visit?
- Find the food pantry location on your campus/site see the locations section
- Visit the pantry nearest you up to once a week and select 12 items with no more than two of the same thing.
- Your visits to the pantry will be anonymous and each location should be open and freely available
- GHC’s regular business hours from 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM Monday-Thursday (On-Site) and 8:00 AM-12:00 PM Fridays (Remote Operations Only).
Is it Confidential?
Yes, after you complete the Food Pantry Participant Agreement (once per semester) you only need to provide the date of your visit and your 900 number when you pick up food up-to once a week. The information you provide on the food pantry agreement is collected and processed by the counseling staff and some non-identifying demographic information is provided to the organization from whom the food is purchased.
What Information Do I Need?
For the Food Pantry Participation Agreement (completed once a semester):
- Your Name
- GHC ID
- Biological Sex
- Age Range
- Number of Household Members
- Income Range by # of Household Members
For the Weekly Sign Up (completed each visit):
- The date of your visit
- Your GHC ID 900#
- Check the box for yes that you completed the Food Pantry Participation Agreement
What kind of things are available?
Food and other item’s availability are based on funding and donations. Items, such as the following, are usually available:
- Canned Goods
- Peanut Butter
- Dry Goods
- Ready-to-eat food