- Keep children and pets away from heaters.
- Prevent children from playing with match and candle sticks.
- Teach children emergency exit points of the homes and offices where they work.
- Cook with absolute attention. Wastes such as papers and other combustible materials should be cleared away so that children will not throw them into the fire. It is also necessary to place gas cookers on stands so that children will not be able to reach them.
- Naked wires and faulty electrical appliances should be promptly repaired.
- Children should be taught how to cool burns. Burns are best cooled by immersing in cold water for about 13 minutes.
- Electrical wires should not be passed under floor coverings such as mats, carpets and rugs.
- Safety Tips for the Family <http://www.fireescapesystems.com/> : Precautions and measures to adopt.
- Fire Safety Tips <http://pbskids.org/arthur/firesafety/index.html> :Great tips for kids on how to stay safe in case of a fire emergency.
- Sparky the Fire Dog <http://www.sparky.org/> : Helpful tips and information on fire safety from Sparky the Fire Dog.
- Fire Safety <http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/home/fire.html> : List of fire safety and fire prevention tips.
Fire Safety Games
- Be Fire Safe! <http://www.mcgruff.org/Games/fs.php> : Game that teaches children to be conscious of fire accidents.
- Sparky’s Arcade <http://www.sparky.org/arcade.html> : Fun and educational games on fire safety.
For more information on fire safety, please visit http://www.ou.edu/oupd/fireprim.htm